Shell GTL – Environmentally Friendly Fuel
What is GTL?
Shell GTL Fuel is an alternative fuel to diesel, manufactured from natural gas using the Fischer-Tropsch process. This process breaks down gas molecules and reassembles them into larger uniform molecules in a carefully controlled manner.
Shell GTL is better known as gas-to-liquids – the technology converts natural gas – the cleanest burning fossil fuel – into high quality liquid products that would otherwise be made from crude oil.
Why Are We Using GTL?
‘Shell GTL’ is manufactured both colourless as well as odourless with dye added later. They contain almost none of the impurities – sulphur, aromatics and nitrogen – that are found in crude oil.
We have carried out comprehensive testing over a two month period in our winter fleet and are delighted with the results. Therefore the new ‘Shell GTL’ will be introduced to the entire holiday fleet. We are sure to see a huge difference in the performance of our cruisers, in the emissions that are produced as well as helping to save the environment with cleaner burning fuels.
Acting fast and being one of the first boating companies on the Norfolk Broads to use this innovative fuel, we are hoping to see other boat hire companies and private owners following in our footsteps to create a more environmentally friendly surroundings.
What Are The Key Benefits of Shell GTL?
- Helps to reduce local emissions – GTL technology produces more consistent and uniform molecules compared to conventional crude oil refining which results in improved combustion properties for Shell GTL Fuel in standard diesel engines. This helps to reduce emissions of air pollutants.
- Can be used in existing diesel engines without the need for engine modifications, new infrastructure or vehicle investment – Shell GTL Fuel properties allow it to be used as a direct replacement for conventional diesel fuels
- Free of unwanted components such as sulphur, metals and aromatics – natural gas is a much cleaner fossil fuel compared to crude oil and so Shell GTL Fuel is free of unwanted components, making it non-toxic and less harmful to the environment
- Readily biodegradable – Shell GTL Fuel is more biodegradable than conventional diesel
- Can reduce the noise levels in some engines – thanks to more uniform combustion
- Better starting performance in cold conditions – due to higher cetane number
- Better safety, handling and storage characteristics – due to a higher flash point
- Can be mixed with standard fuel – mixing with standard fuel won’t harm or affect the way the ‘Shell GTL’ performs however you will loose the environmental benefits by using standard fuel
Herbert Woods is Setting Great New Standards on the Norfolk Broads
Our continuing goal is to create an environmentally friendly hire fleet, by doing this we’re currently absorbing the additional costs associated with this new fuel.