What to Bring on Your Boating Holiday
Our Holiday Packing Checklist for the perfect Boating Holiday!
Norfolk is a pretty unique part of the UK. It’s covered in beautiful waterways which link some of the Broads. Although it was initial believed that the Broads were natural, they are in fact man made and were created as a result of peat excavation in medieval times.
There are a grand total of 63 Broads in Norfolk and Suffolk, some of which are just four meters deep.
One of the great things about Norfolk Broads boating holidays is that you won’t be leaving the UK, so you can be sure that familiar amenities will never be too far away. That said. it’s always a lot less stressful if you remember everything you need to take in the first place.
To make your life a bit simpler, we have created this guide to help you with your packing. The items suggested are similar to what you would need for any outdoorsy self-catered holiday, but to make sure you’re as prepared as possible, use this guide as starting point and add anything else you think of at least a week before you need to pack. That way you’ll have plenty of time to remember any essentials you might have forgotten.
- Herbert Woods contact details – Herbert Woods, Bridge Road, Potter Heigham, NR29 5JF Tel. 01692 670711
- Your booking reference
- Blankets, bed linen is provided on board, we supply 2 pillows and pillow cases per person, bed sheet, duvet and duvet covers. We do not supply bed linen for passengers under 2 years old. Please advise us of your bed linen requirements prior to your arrival. You can do this by logging in to your account at https://secure.herbertwoods.co.uk/mybooking/ or contacting the office on 01692 670711. Extra bed linen for your stay can be provided at a small additional cost.
- We do not supply First Aid kits on any of our boats. For your safety we reccommend you bring your own from home.
One thing to bear in mind is the potentially variable weather. While you should regularly check the weather forecast in the run up to your Norfolk Broads boating holiday, it is best to bring a variety of clothing just in case.
Waterproof jackets, sturdy shoes with rubber soles, and warm clothing are all musts. Everything else is down to you.
Remember to wear in any new walking boots before your holiday so you don’t end up spending half your trip battling painful blisters. While we’re on the subject if you’re planning on doing a lot of walking, bring thick walking socks and plenty of plasters, just in case. A bit of Vaseline on anywhere that’s rubbing does a world of good too.
It’s a good idea to bring enough clothing for the whole trip, as well as a few extras. if your jeans are soaked on the first day, they won’t really have a chance to dry out and you’ll have to wear soggy clothes for the rest of your holiday.
Don’t worry if you forget your toothbrush, it isn’t the end of the world. There are lots of shops near the waterways, and if you do forget something you’ll probably be able to find an equivalent quite easily.
Sun cream, after sun and insect repellent always come in handy. Even if you’re not expecting it to be incredibly hot when you go on your Norfolk Boards boating holiday, the reflection of the sun of the water can often be stronger than you think!
We advise all customers to bring their own first aid kit.
Just in case the weather is miserable, or you’re looking for something to do of an evening, it’s always a good idea to bring some books, games, playing cards, and a few DVDs. While there’s plenty to do in the day, there’s nothing worse than spending all your evenings complaining that you’re bored.
Bring any food or drink you’re likely to want will save a lot of problems, especially if someone in your party has a food allergy. Bottled water is a really useful thing to bring.
The kitchens in the boats are fully equipped but you might be helpful to bring kitchen scissors and oven gloves.
Below is a full list of things we recommend to bring on your boating holiday.
- Non-slip shoe / trainers
- Wellington boots (Depending on the time of year)
- Blankets (Depending on the time of year. Bed linen is provided, we supply 2 pillows and pillow cases per person, bed sheet, duvet and duvet covers. We do not supply bed linen for passengers under 2 years old)
- Camera / Video camera
- Waterproof clothing (Depending on the time of year)
- Towels (These are provided for customers travelling from outside the UK)
- Torch / Head torch
- Pet accessories – Food and water bowls, food, waste bags, toys, lead, bed / crate
- Sun cream / Sunglasses / Hat
- Cd’s / DVD’s
- Pack of cards, dominoes, board games
- Slippers / Warm socks for the evenings
- Carrier bags / Black bags for rubbish
- Extra toilet rolls (1 toilet roll per bathroom is provided)
- Shower gel / Shampoo and conditioner / Tooth brush and tooth paste
- Prescription medication
- Reading Glasses
- Food and drink
- Kitchen Roll
- Soft luggage bags that can be folded away easier than a hard suitcase
- Fishing equipment
- First aid kit
- Cash (There are not many cash points on the Broads)
- Booking / Arrival paperwork
- Tin opener
- Oven gloves
- Non-stick frying pan (there will be a frying pan on board which isn’t non-stick)
- Rubber Mallet for when you are using the Rhond Anchor
- Mobile phone and charger
- Insect Repellent / Bite cream