Reedham Walks

Once a coastal settlement, the pretty village of Reedham became landlocked as the local marshes were drained for agricultural use. The Reedham Ferry, which is located just outside the village, is the only road crossing point on the River Yare between Norwich and Great Yarmouth, something that’s put this small settlement on the map.

If you’re staying in Reedham or the surrounding area, taking a stroll through the local countryside will give you a new appreciation for the village and its setting. Here’s one of our favourite routes to get you in the walking mood.

 

Route

This picturesque circular walk begins and ends at Reedham Station, making it the perfect choice for people travelling by public transport. From the train station, walk up Ferry Road towards the Ferry Inn. If you can stop yourself from popping in for a drink or a bite to eat, walk up the set of steps next to the pub and join the Wherryman’s Way.

The route will then lead you along the banks of the River Yare. This peaceful part of the walk offers the perfect opportunity to enjoy the beautiful landscape of the Broads and really get close to nature. After walking through part of the village, the route will lead you past the Ship Inn and under the railway bridge. A few hundred metres after the bridge you’ll turn left and head up towards the Humpty Dumpty Brewery and Pettitt’s Animal Adventure Park. Just before you reach the railway line however, the route will lead you to the left and back into Reedham.

 

Difficulty

At just four miles long, this route should be easy enough for all the family. Around 75% of the route is on a hard surface with the other 25% on footpaths or other less firm footing. Along the way you’ll need to tackle two relatively steep hills, so make sure all your group is up for the challenge.

 

Facilities

There are a number of pubs on the route where you can stop to refuel and relax. The Ship Inn is right on the waterfront while the Lord Nelson is set slightly back from the riverside. Reedham is also home to a small shop and a couple of cafes. Buses and trains connect the village with destinations in the local area.

 

Points of Interest

One of the first points of interest you’ll come to on the route is the Red Mill. Built in 1540, the windmill and drainage pump burned down in 1890. However, the landmark has since been rebuilt and is a popular sight in the local area.

If you take a slight detour from the route, you can visit both the Humpty Dumpty Brewery and Pettitt’s Animal Adventure Park. The perfect way to make a day of your Reedham Walk, a stop at either of these attractions is guaranteed to enhance your day out.

 

A wonderful route for all the family, this circular stroll takes in the best of Reedham and the surrounding countryside. Find out more about walks in the area by exploring our site today.