Ludham is a quaint Broads village, surrounded by water on three sides by the rivers Ant, Bure and Thurne. Ludham village is best accessed via Womack Water, off the River Thurne, the village is a short walk from the staithe and contains a village pub, tea room, convenience store, post office and butchers.
Ludham’s main attraction is the historic St Catherine’s Church. The church has a number of interesting features including a fine oak hammer beam roof, with the wheel of St
Catherine carved into every other spindle, a rood screen painted with various saints and the ‘village chest’ which still contains documents and needs two keys to be unlocked.
If arriving by water you will pass by Hunters Boat yard with their fleet of wooden 1930’s sailing yachts and the Norfolk Wherry Trust home of the distinctive black sailed Wherry ‘Albion’, one of only two remaining trading barges built specifically for the Broads.
Ludham Bridge is only 1.5 miles away by road however by boat the journey will take 1.5hrs and include three rivers! Crossing the River Ant Ludham Bridge is a lively spot with a cafe, shop, cycle hire and nearby pub. Anglers can stock up on bait at AJB Angling or browse the work of local artist Linda Matthews at Slippery Bottoms Boatyard.
The area has an extensive network of footpaths, which take in Ludham village and surrounding marshes.
Nearby attractions include How Hill, with its walks, cottage and museum and the ruins of St Benet’s Abbey. Both can be easily accessed by foot, bike or cruiser.
- Free BA moorings are available at Womack Island (tender required).
- Womack Staithe
- Entrance to Womack Water
Eating & Drinking
- The Kings Arms
- Alfresco Tea Rooms
- Throwers Convenience Store & Post Office
- Ludham Butchers
- Free BA moorings are available at Ludham Bridge & How Hill Staithe
Eating & Drinking
- Wayfarers Cafe
- The Dog Inn
- Ludham Bridge Stores